My student teaching experience was rough. I was not a natural and teaching didn't come easy. I struggled and often felt those who were guiding me weren't really sure how to help me through my problems of practice. If I had just asked questions (but I had no idea what questions I needed to ask). I felt the label of "bad teacher" hanging over me. I felt like I just couldn't get it right...and maybe never would. My mistakes and failures weren't learning opportunities, they felt like points being docked from a grade or a risk of not passing. It was high pressure all of the time.
| That's me, one stressed out and overwhelmed student teacher. |
Many teachers take on a student teacher to lighten their workload. If you've got someone else teaching most of the time, it frees you up to work one-on-one with other students, to get more done, to work on National Boards. Maybe your class is really big and a student teacher will lower your ratio. Others benefit from a small stipend and that extra bit of money makes life a little easier. I might be pushing your thinking when I say that these reasons are not good enough reasons to have a student teacher.
Taking on a student teacher is not about getting another body in your classroom and making your teaching life easier. Mentoring a student teacher involves pouring your time and your support into someone else. Your energy goes into building a strong, future educator. If your student teacher is failing and struggling, you get to be that person they lean on. You get to help put them back into the driver's seat and maybe even sit with them when they jump back onto the freeway. You are the best resource your student teacher has, every day you get to model, guide, inspire and help someone become their best teaching self. Instead of just committing to the growth of your amazing students, you are also committing to the growth of another adult--it's important and powerful work.
If you are taking on a student teacher (or thinking about it) I encourage you to be the person I needed as a student teacher. Be the mentor teacher that helps the "not a natural" student teacher find their way. Help student teachers navigate through the murky transition into being a "real" teacher. Teach student teachers how we hit the speed bumps, reflect, patch up that car and keep moving with that learning experience in our review mirror.
You have the power to help others become amazing educators who change the world. You also have the ability to end a career before it even begins. Be that amazing mentor teacher that impacts a wide range of kids by helping build strong teachers in your community.
No comments:
Post a Comment